Olympic-Sized Faith

Unlike the majority of the world, I’m not a huge fan of watching sports. I watch the Superbowl for the commercials and the half-time show, not for football. The only exception to that is when A) one of my nieces/nephews are playing a sport, and B) it’s Olympic season. I love the Olympics – the torch-bearing, the national pride felt worldwide, the world records, and especially the Opening and Closing Ceremonies. During the years the Olympics take place I find myself watching sports I normally wouldn’t pay any attention to, like fencing, bobsled racing, curling (my all-time favorite Olympic sport!), and during the summer games, gymnastics. During the off-years, gymnastics isn’t a heavily followed sport – but when young American women are competing for the gold, we can’t keep our eyes off of the competition. Names like Mary Lou Retton and Kerri Strug have become some of the most memorable U.S. athletes of the modern games. And undoubtedly, this year’s gymnastic celebrity, Gabby Douglas, will be added to that list.

Sixteen-year-old Gabby recently won two gold medals, including one for the prestigious All-Around gymnastics competition. When she was interviewed afterward, the emotional young girl was quoted with saying:

"It is everything I thought it would be; being the Olympic champion, it definitely is an amazing feeling. And I give all the glory to God. It’s kind of a win-win situation. The glory goes up to Him and the blessings fall down on me.”

When I win awards or am complimented, I have a tendency to let myself be proud of what I accomplished. I did that. I’m great at what I do. I’m talented. Me, me, me. What I should be doing – what Gabby did, and I, ashamedly, often forget to do – is immediately praise God for the victory and give Him the glory. I couldn’t have won that award or compliment or what have you without the gifts and talents that He bestowed upon me. And thought it sounds somewhat selfish on the surface, Gabby is right about it being a win-win situation. When we praise God, He blesses us. When we do the things God asks of us, he graciously gives us more than we could ever imagine or deserve.

We can take a lot of encouragement from the faith of this young woman. This verse, that she recently tweeted, sums up her actions perfectly: “Let all that I am praise the Lord; may I never forget the good things he does for me (Psalm 103:2 ESV).”

When you feel that swell of pride well up in your heart, remember to praise the Lord and give Him the glory for the victory of that moment. He is the one who gave you the ability and opportunity to do great things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment