Everlasting Light

I know that there are some Christians who only listen to Christian music, and while I respect their choice or conviction, I find too much inspiration in "secular" music to turn my back on rock, indie, pop, and all the other genres out there. I doubt that some of the songs I am encouraged by where written with that intention, but as Jesus says, "Anyone who is not against us is for us (Mark 9:40, NLT)" - so I take inspiration wherever I can find it. 


I'm a fan of the band The Black Keys (as an Ohioan, it's practically required) and a song with lyrics I particularly love is Everlasting Light. The first verse goes like this: 


Let me be your everlasting light
The sun when there is none
I'm a shepherd for you
And I'll guide you through
Let me be your everlasting light


I'm sure it was written as a love song between a man and a woman, but with lyrics like that, I can't help but imagine Jesus saying them to one of His children. The second verse continues:

Let me be your everlasting light
Your home when there is cold
In me you can confide
When no one's by your side
Let me be your everlasting light

When everything else is cold and dark, Jesus is there to guide us and be our confidant. Let Jesus be your home, your shepherd, your guide, your sun - because what he really wants is to be your everlasting light.

No comments:

Post a Comment