Fill Your Niche

Dear friends, you always followed my instructions when I was with you. And now that I am away, it is even more important. Work hard to show the results of your salvation, obeying God with deep reverence and fear. For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him. - Philippians 2:12-13

Recently a couple who serve as missionaries visited our church. While I love hearing about the work they’re doing and seeing the people they help, I usually end up feeling a little guilty about working a desk job when they’re caring for the homeless. The charity work I do through my office feels so weak in comparison.

But in reality, not everyone is called to be a missionary. When I really sit back and think about it, I have no desire to make a trip to Africa - not because I feel that the work isn’t necessary, but it just isn’t for me. And that’s okay. Paul points out in this passage that God gives us the desires to do the things that please Him. God created each of us to fill a specific niche, and He plants desires in our heart that encourage us to do whatever it takes to fill that niche. For some, that means raising money and going to Haiti to to rebuild villages. For others, that means being excellent at their desk job in order to witness to their coworkers.

God gives us each a desire, and the power to fulfill it. It is up to us to do so in a way that pleases Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment